City Fidelia is..
Rapper and leader of the #OldNewFashion Movement, City Fidelia recently released his new album, a Pisces World. With this most recent release City is continuing his climb to the top and is putting his name up there with some of the best rappers coming out of Canada. City has been in the game for a while and performed at major events, with big names such as ASAP Rocky, Machine Gun Kelly, Hopsin and many more. We had the privilege of sitting down and chatting with City about his new album, his progression as an artist and a few other random topics. Check it out below and be sure to purchase his new album and show your support!
- What was the inspiration behind your album a Pisces World?
“I had a girlfriend that was really into Astrology and I noticed how some of those horoscopes reflected my characteristics, but to dig deeper, I believe reading our zodiac signs will help us humans reflect on our strengths and weakness , this whole album is about doing a self assessment. P.S. Two of my brothers are Pisces as well.”
- How have you as an artist matured and grown since your last record and was there a specific moment or experience that really impacted your direction for this record?
“On the first record, Salaam and I just met, so there was a lot of trial and error and we basically did everything from scratch and learned new things during the process. After we released the first project we decided that we were going to try and push the boundaries and not let people put us in the box of that classical hip hop sound that I love, don’t get me wrong but it was a challenge that I wanted to take on.”
- What type of message or messages are you trying to convey with a Pisces World?
“I want everybody that listens to the album to know that we all have flaws and we all have a struggle but if you persevere through it, you’ll find your blessing, its important to embrace who we are, no one is perfect , being perfect is boring.”
- You’ve been in the game for a while and you’ve played tons of shows with household names. It may be tough to pick one but I’m gonna ask you anyways. Which was your favourite show to date and why?
“It’s a hard one, I will say the Hopsin show because he brought back out on stage and showed me love in front of his fans, E.L.E fest because I was able to watch a whole bunch of performers from my city kill it, and the MGK show because it was my first time crowd surfing.”
- We both know there’s a lot that goes on behind every great artist that the people don’t always get to see and I know you have a whole crew behind you helping out in a variety of different ways. Can you give us a peek behind the curtain and tell us who else is involved with your projects and your movement and a bit of what they do?
“Salaam Status executive produces all my projects, he’s basically my 40. Picasso is a great person to have around because he always challenges me in the studio, same with Laguil who engineered the whole project , this project wouldn’t be possible with out them. My bro Issa keeps me sane and also makes sure that I’m on time and get where I need to be, because my head is in the clouds sometimes. Carpe gives me advice when it comes to writing and life situations. Joe helps with the promo and the travels when we go city to city. NDMA helps me come up with ideas, we pretty much do everything together with the old new fashion movements. Cashtro makes sure that I don’t hold onto my music for years lol. DJ Mes holds me down every time I hit the stage. Njaguna is like my motivational speaker and always makes sure that I put god first. Joel helps me out when it comes to different approaches in the music business and my manager makes sure that my mind is right and encourages me to make good decisions. Overall my team is my family and we hold each other down outside this music, we stay very honest with each other and I know I could rely on any of these people and some that are unlisted as well, I love them all.”
Random question time:
- Your best friend just walked into your place before heading out for the night wearing the most hideous outfit you’ve ever seen, what do you do?
“We are very honest with each other, I would tell him to take it off and never wear it again lol. I’m usually that guy in the crew that where’s the so-called hideous things.”
- Name one piece of technology you hope is invented in the next 20 years.
“Being able to teleport, so that I can travel the world and be right back in bed with my honey in no time.”
- I think this is the question everyone is dying to ask… where’d you get your now famous hat that we see in all the promo for a Pisces World?
“HAHAHAHA , NDMA, the fashion killer surrendered it, that’s what brothers do, we share information”
- If your music was a drink, what drink would it be?
“A bottle of Hennessey, that drink plays with my emotions”
- Last and most importantly where can people listen to and/or purchase your new album!?
“People can Purchase the Album on Itunes, Spotify, Amazon and also stream it on sound cloud, The 4 A.M video is coming out very sooooonnn, and we will be premiering it at Silver City, so watch out for that!”